Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Learning to Draw with Art Coach Sandra Angelo

Ever since I was little, I have loved to draw. The only problem is that I am not very good at it!

Even though I have two degrees; one in art and one in communications, you wouldn't know that I have one it art as I tend to draw very simple figures.

Over the years, I have met some of the most amazing people on Facebook, and Sandra Angelo is one of them. An incredible artist that I really look up to, she has a passion for drawing and teaching others to become artists.

I contacted Sandra several months ago and shared with her that I would like to be able to draw pictures of Sparkles to help support the work of the Keep Kids Fire Safe Foundation. I had two big challenges facing me~ One is that I tend to be a perfectionist and the other is the lack of time for any "down time" due to our very busy schedule (I am a volunteer who works 14-16 hour days on fire safety projects).

After visiting with Sandra, I realized that her program was perfect for me, and without further hesitation, I signed up to take Sandra's 90 Day Home Study Course, "Draw PETS 101."

In Sandra's first book, she talked about the importance of spending at least 30 minutes a day on art and shared arts therapeutic value. I loved the concept, but was in the middle of our Midwest Fire Safety Tour. It seemed like I kept putting this project off because I was "too busy" or maybe even a bit scared that I would like this drawing so much that it would take me away from what I love to do. Not true I later learned!

Over the past few days, I finally committed myself to begin reading Sandra's books and finally got to put Sandra's teachings into when I got to Book Four.

Today's project was "Draw the Dog's Eye." I don't know about you, but I love starting "small" and this activity was just right!

I started out by drawing the outline of the eye first and have to admit that I was so nervous that the pencil was shaking!

After I got into the "groove" of drawing, I was starting to have fun and actually enjoyed it! It was very relaxing!

Here is a picture of my finished assignment. Sandra's drawing is on the top, and mine is on the bottom:


I am looking forward to the challenge and spending many more relaxing days drawing!

No comments: