Thursday, January 29, 2009

Great News!

* This blog post was originally posted on January 29th, 2009. To learn the latest about this incredible story, please visit Sparkles' Save Page.

Yesterday I received a note from Principal Tanya Davis, on the heroic behavior of two Celia Clinton Elementary students.

Recently, the Rotary Club of Tulsa purchased Sparkles the Fire Safety Dog, a children’s fire safety book, for each of Davis’ students. Sparkles, being the ever faithful fire safety educator that she is, made the trip with me to share her book and fire safety messages at the school.

Below is Principal Davis’ note:

“The other day one of our Kindergarten student’s house caught fire in the middle of the night. She and her father both escaped. The father spent a few days in ICU for smoke inhalation on a ventilator. After a few days out, she came back to school and I had the chance to talk with her. I asked her how she got out of the house. She said, "I crawled on the floor just like Sparkles taught me to." She got down on the floor and demonstrated it to me right in the office floor. She said "smoke was everywhere and I stayed low to get away from it." I knew you would want to hear that!

Then, I was walking down the hallway on Monday and one of my third graders came running up to me and said, "Mrs. Davis, my microwave caught on fire and I grabbed my brothers and sisters and we got out of the house because we saw smoke." She took a quick breath and then said, "Sparkles taught us to get out quick, so we ran outside. My mom couldn't find us because we were all outside." She said "Firefighter Dayna and Sparkles would be very proud of us." I told her I would email you and let you know about this.”

Sparkles and I are thankful that the children and their families are safe. We appreciate Principal Davis for sharing this fire safety story!

Here are three news stories from Tulsa stations:

Video #1
Video #2
Video #3

An article in the Tulsa World appeared on November 25th. It may be read HERE or by clicking on the photo below.

A few pictures from the event on November 24 may be seen HERE. Notes from students at Celia Clinton may be found throughout the blog.

Blogs have been posting stories as well and some may be found at the following locations:

Author Cheryl Rainfield's Blog

The Dalmatian Location

Kid Tested, Librarian Approved Blog

For more information on Sparkles the Fire Safety Dog and her work in helping keep children and their caregivers fire safe, please visit her website Sparkles the Fire Safety Dog's Website. More information may also received by contacting Dayna Hilton at

The children's fire safety book, Sparkles the Fire Safety Dog, may be purchased from


Suzanne Lieurance said...

Wow! Looks like Sparkles is doing a wonderful service for children everywhere.

Keep up the good work, Sparkles!

Johann The Dog said...

You and Sparkles are doing wonderful work, saving lives, and helping children and family. Good job! And good job to those little ones :)